VPS Lakeshore Hospital, Kochi, Kerala
+9670971552 |

  »      ServicesVPS Lakeshore   »   Split Liver Transplantation

Split Liver Transplantation Kochi

Split Liver Transplantation: In split liver transplant, the liver of a donor is divided into two parts and the two parts are implanted into two recipients instead of one. The liver can be shared between an adult and a child also.

Liver transplantation is considered the only treatment modality in patients suffering with end-stage liver diseases. The need for Split Liver Transplant arises due to the fact that the need for liver allografts surpasses the available supply of donor organs. Split liver transplantation (SLT) meets this need of increased supply of liver grafts by creating 2 transplants from 1 allograft. Split liver transplant saves two lives with one organ.

The surgeons involved in the transplant ensures that the split can be carried out safely by studying the donated liver carefully.

The first split liver transplantation was performed at Stanford in 1996 and both the patients made smooth recoveries.

Pediatric Split Liver Transplantation

In Pediatric Split Liver transplantation, one portion of the split liver is transplanted into a child and the other portion is transplanted into an adult who also is in need of a liver transplant.

Typically, the adult receives about 60 percent of the right lobe of the liver and the pediatric patient receives the other 40 percent of the left lobe of the liver.

Pediatric Liver Transplantation

Children suffering with liver disease usually have livers that are smaller than the normal size and it doesn’t function normally. As liver is the only regenerative organ in the body, the new liver transplanted into the child will be near to the needed amount, and the liver continues to regenerate itself to the optimal size.

Advantages

The major benefit of a split liver transplant is it saves two lives with one donor liver. It also reduces the waiting time for a liver graft to become available for the transplant.

Split liver transplant is considered an important strategy to increase the supply of liver grafts by creating 2 transplants from 1 allograft.

Dr. Abhishek Yadav is a well known gastrointestinal, liver diseases and liver transplant specialist with more than 10 years of clinical experience in managing patients with complex surgical problems of the liver and gastrointestinal tract.

Know More

Recent Posts

  • Official Launch of Liver Care Clinic – Kollam

    Read More

  • Almas Hospital Kottakal
    Service available at ALMAS Hospital

    Almas, situated in the heart of Kottakkal Municipality, is a Multilevel Super Specialty Referral Hospital. The Department of Gastrointestinal Surgery, also known as Surgical Gastroenterology, at Almas Hospital, Kottakkal is one of the comprehensive Liver Disease treatment Centers in Malabar Region. The department proves its mettle in the region in terms of strength, skill and […] Read More

  • 25+ Successful liver transplants at VPS Lakeshore Hospital Kochi 2020
    Successful 25+ Liver Transplants with 96% success rate – Jan to Dec 2020

    VPS Lakeshore Hospital: This is the highest number of surgeries ever performed in our history within a span of one year. The challenge of saving each life that comes in our hand was not easy during this global pandemic. What drove us forward was our passion and our sense of duty. Watch Video 2020 – […] Read More

  • Liver Transplantation St. Catherine's Hospital, Uganda
    Invited by Uganda government to talk and treat patients with liver disease

    Talk by Dr. Abhishek Yadav at Break fast Meeting: Insight into Liver Disease and its causes, at St. Catherine’s Hospital, Uganda, in association with VPS Lakeshore Hospital, Kochi. Dr. Abhishek talks about the functions of a liver. The liver is quite an underrated organ of the body.  Everyone talks about the heart and the kidneys, […] Read More

  • Liver Failure Treatment Kochi - Nandana Bobby
    Recovery from Acute Liver Failure

    All patients with Acute Liver Failure do not require liver transplantation. Some can be managed with medical treatment with excellent results. Nandana Bobby who had developed acute liver failure was referred to VPS Lakeshore hospital for urgent liver transplantation. However, the team of doctors at the hospital’s comprehensive liver care institute managed to reverse her […] Read More